Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Wednesday, April 3, 2019
"JERSEY TOMATOES Are The BEST" !!!!
Sunday, March 10, 2019
Tuesday, December 11, 2018
The BEST CHICKEN Ever !!!
PASTA al FORNO
Yes the BEST CHICKEN Ever ! I kid you not. And so Cheap, they're practically giving it away, Just 3.5 Euros for 1/4 Chicken (Leg & Thigh) and probably the Best Roast Potatoes you've ever Eaten as well, "I kid you not." I couldn't believe how absolutely wonderful, the kind of place you're Always Looking For but often don't find, PALUMBO is Awesome. As soon as I walked through the door of this place and saw the Rotisserie Chickens Cooking, I knew I wanted to have some. It's a rosticceria and all the food is layed out before you for you to choose from, there's: Frittata (Italian Omelette), ARANCINI (Sicilian Rice Balls), Eggplant Caponata Fried Eggplant, Eggplant Parmigiano, PASTA , The CHICKEN & Potatoes, and more ... It's a Family run place and has a nice warm friendly atomosphere. You can either Eat In or Take Out as many of the locals do, running in for ARANCINI, Roast Chicken, Eggplant, Frittata and what-not.I started my meal with Pasta al Forno, Rigatoni Baked with Ragu and Pecorino Cheese (ONLY 3 Euro), and followed the Pasta with the BEST ROAST CHICKEN I've ever had in my life, "It was Amazing" !!! I couldn't believe how wonderful the food was and the price were so low, they were practically giving it away. From going there two times I could see that this Family built their business on having absolutely Delicious Food and super low prices, with food to take-away or eat there in a nice warm ambiance if you like. When I was leaving the next day to take a 3 hour Bus Ride to Catania, I made sure I came here to get a Couple ARANCINI, FRITTATA , and Fried Eggplant to eat on the long bus ride. When I got hungry on the bus, I was sure glad I did. Love this place, and wish there were more around like it. My BEST MEAL in SICILY !!! No doubt.
GRANDMA BELINO 'S COOKBOOK
RECIPES From My SICILIAN NONNA
Available on AMAZON.com
Tuesday, December 4, 2018
This is Real Authentic SICILIAN #PIZZA
the Kind you find in PALERMORECIPE :
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- ¼ cup/45 grams fine semolina
- 2 cups/255 grams 00 flour or all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing pan and drizzling
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups plain tomato sauce (look for passata, which is not a thick purée)
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup/85 grams grated pecorino or other sheep’s cheese (3 ounces)
- 8 anchovy fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Dried oregano, preferably Sicilian
- Make the dough: In a mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, put 1 cup lukewarm water and yeast. Add semolina and stir to make a thin paste. Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes, until bubbly.
- Add flour, salt and olive oil, and mix until dough becomes a rough mass. Knead dough until smooth, about 5 minutes. Dust with flour as needed, but don’t add much: This is meant to be a soft dough. Put kneaded dough in a resealable plastic bag or a bowl covered with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably longer, up to 24 hours.
- Make the sauce: Put 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, and raise heat to high. Simmer briskly until all the water has evaporated and onions are soft. Add tomato purée and bring to a simmer, then turn off heat. Season with salt and pepper, and add red pepper to taste. Allow mixture to cool, then stir in bread crumbs, grated cheese and anchovies. Let mixture rest for 5 minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle olive oil to coat the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch rimmed baking sheet. Remove dough from refrigerator and press down to deflate. Using a rolling pin, flatten dough to a small rectangle.
- Transfer dough to oiled baking sheet, and, using the palms of your hands, stretch dough to the edges. If dough is rebellious and resists, let it rest for a few minutes, then stretch again. (It may take 2 or 3 attempts.) Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel, and set in a warm place to rise. After 30 minutes or so, dough should have doubled in thickness.
- Spoon the topping evenly over the dough, then use a spatula or the back of the spoon to spread the topping smoothly over entire surface, leaving a half-inch border. Drizzle surface with 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes on the oven’s middle shelf, until nicely browned. Check the underside to make sure it is crisp, and bake for a few more minutes if necessary. (Tent top with foil if top has browned too quickly.)
- Remove from pan to a cutting board. Sprinkle with a little salt and a large pinch of oregano. Cut into 8 square slices. Serve warm or at room temperature.
RECIPES FROM MY SCIILIAN NONNA
ARACINI (Sicilian Rice Balls)
PASTA con SARDE
MACCHERONI RAGU SICILIAN
These RECIPES and More ...